Thursday, November 15, 2007

Zoo-tastic!

We hit up the Montgomery Zoo while Omie Kerstin was visiting. My favorite thing about the zoo has always been seeing the mommies and babies together, and this time was no different for this mommy and her baby! We got to see a baby elephant who was born last Friday (and weighed 247 lbs!), a rhino born in October, and some of the cutest monkey babies I've ever seen. The elephants were so amazing. The mom was doing this kind of dance around the baby with her trunk - like making an invisible barrier around him to protect him. It's so amazing to see animals and their motherly instincts. Love it.
I still haven't decided if I think zoos are a necessary evil or not. I hate to see the big African cheetah in a tiny pen, the black bears in a little cage with only a tiny puddle of water, or the eagle in a cage only 20 feet high. My sweet mother-in-law pointed out that some animals end up at the zoo because they have been rescued and couldn't survive on their own. I like the idea of a zoo with animals who have only been obtained by rescue. The positive benefit of a zoo, even if there are problems with it, is being able to take our children to learn about animals they would never see otherwise, and I love that.

Jos lookin' cool (note the purse still in hand)

Josie looking mesmerized by the birdies.

Baby rhino. PS: There's a contest at the zoo right now to name the baby rhino - give me your ideas and I'll submit them to the zoo!!

7 comments:

Drew said...

Linds I am going to sleep on that, and put a few ideas on paper for the baby rhino name. When is PM dawn starting his blog?

Lindsay B. said...

We always think that rosie looks like a baby rhino - so maybe you could submit "Rosie" for us. Duh drew!

Nikki, Cody, and Tessa said...

wurd linds. So about the chicken noodle soup. I'll have to send you that seasoning, it's pretty hard to find. So in the meantime, I think if you just used a generic poultry seasoning that would probably do. I love your post. Josie looks so cute.

Gramma Annie said...

Josie looks so so cute!! Zoos are a needed evil where else can you see so much of the world in one place! The world and all its wonders were made for man...I can't stop quoting the bible. Plus where would you go on field trips in elementary school? I think his name should be Ricky Rhino I wanted a grandbaby Rick and my kids think I am THE biggest dork so see if you can get a Rhino to use it!!!xoxoxosis

whit said...

What a fun day at the zoo - I don't think the animals at our zoo procreate. I think they should name the rhino Kinshou Kikou, it means little armor in Japanese - I hope.

Paige said...

I think they should name hime Rhinestone cowboy...Oh and I hate the zoo. It smells bad and I want to rescue all the animals and let them out, just like I did with all of Fudge's reptiles etc. I love that peanut still is carrying her purse. Is there anything inside?

Kirsten said...

our vote is "Lorino"!