Monday, August 18, 2008

The one that got away...almost.


I grew up fishing with my dad, and I've been fishing enough to think that I kind of know what I'm doing. I feel comfortable casting, waiting, watching. I've spent many hours in rivers with my dad, my little brother, my BFF, and my father-in-law. The truth is that I like to fish mostly for the time spent with loved ones and I am not really an experienced "fish catcher." I've caught a few little ones here and there, but nothing I'd write home about.
When we were in Montana a few weeks ago, I was just minding my own business, and this guy decided to taste my fly...only to be the unlucky sucker caught by me. I didn't even know it was happening - Steve had to tell me I had a bite. I reeled him in and Steve says, "Your dad is not gonna believe this!" He was so big!


The trouble started when we tried to photograph the big dude. I tried my best to hold him but it just didn't work out for either of us. He wriggled out of my hands and first jumped right back in the water. Steve grabbed him and handed him back to me for a second try, but he escaped again and fell to his death on the boat. "Don't they make sandpaper gloves?" I asked.


We tried to revive him, and move him back and forth in the water like they do with sharks when they release them, but to no avail. I've always considered myself a "catch and release" kind of girl, but I haven't had too much experience in the releasing part.


There was much screaming and a lot of laughing, and in the end the poor sucker ended up on our table.


Ben and his beautiful rainbow that he so skillfully held onto.


The best fishing guide in all of Montana.

9 comments:

Gramma Annie said...

WOW LINDS!!!!!! you are so dang cute! The fish committed suicide so you all could enjoy him!! good on him! xoxox

Nikki, Cody, and Tessa said...

I'm impressed Linds with your fishing skills, even if you do struggle to hang onto it!!!

Paige said...

Holy popcorn batman. That is a big fish. I can't believe you caught that. Reminds me of fishing off the dock in Texas. I caught my first dog fish back in the day

Dave said...

Those trout are beautiful. I don't think they make them like that outside of Montana... I love Ben's shades - sweet

Lorilee said...

sa---weet. i gotta show cody when he gets home.
did you do mouth to mouth on the little guy? (or I guess I should say BIG guy).
at least you got a good meal out of him and he didn't go to waste.
ps. I'm glad you consider yourself a catch and release kind of girl, that's why I like you.

just realized this comment sounds like I'm a totally radical vegetarian.

whit said...

I can just hear you laughing! Can I come next time? Call you tomorrow.

Sid said...

good job linds- that looks so fun! and i am sure he was delicious!

Alycia said...

great pictures...it looked like a yummy fish! Nick is jealous that you guys were in Montana. It is so fun up there!

Lindsay B. said...

Great lookin' trout Linds! Although the part of your post that I find most interesting is the "sandpaper glove" comment. Andrew thinks he has a million dollar idea to invent them for home remodeling jobs - but now we have found yet another use to make us a buttload of cash. Genius!